LONG HAUL DRIVING
- Do not tailgate. Although long haul trucking entails hours of driving and frustrations run high, keep emotions in check.
- Take sufficient breaks and actually get out of the truck in order to stay fresh and alert on long hauls.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing as sitting for long periods of time can cut off circulation and cause serious health problems over time.
- Admit to yourself when you are fatigued. Driving while exhausted can be more dangerous than driving while intoxicated.
- Remember that trucking regulations prohibit more than 11 hours of continuous trucking with a subsequent 10 hour off-duty break. However, this is not always enough rest time so be sure to pay attention to your body’s fatigue levels.